SEPTEMBER 3 AMNON, TAMAR, ABSALOM (2 Samuel 13)
1. Why was Amnon frustrated? (13:1-2) What plan did Jonadab propose for Amnon to get what he wanted? (13:3-5)
2. WhenAmnonfeignedillness,whatrequestdidhemakeofKingDavid?(13:6-7) How did Amnon finally get what he wanted from Tamar? (13:8-14)
3. In what way was Amnon’s sin like the sin of his father David with Bathsheba? Why do you think David didn’t more than just get angry with Amnon? (13:21) How might David’s credibility have been compromised?
4. How did Amnon feel about Tamar after he had slept with her? What did he do after he raped Tamar? (13:15-18) How would you explain Amnon’s reversal from “love” to “hate?”
5. How did Absalom react to what happened to his sister? (13:19-20) How did Absalom eventually get his revenge? (13:21-29)
6. What did David initially think happened to all his sons? (13:30-33) How did he react when the real news came? (13:34-36) How did he feel about his son Absalom? (3:37-39)
7. How do you hold on to your faith in light of the terrible things that happen to innocent people?
8. Tamar grieved intensely after she was abused. What’s the closest you have come to the kind of despairing experience Tamar suffered?
MEMORY VERSE (5 minutes)
2Sa 13:21 When King David heard all this, he was furious.d Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.
Questions Adapted from Serendipity Bible for Groups and Adult Questions for LESSONmaker.
No Powerpoint Slides this week
A MAN AFTER GOD’S OWN HEART Part 2: David, King of Israel