SEPTEMBER 24 - David's Exile and Hushai's Advice" (2 Samuel 15-17)
1. Who met David with provisions as he was fleeing Jerusalem? (16:1-2) What difference of opinion did Ziba report between himself and Mephibosheth? (16:3) What was David’s response to Ziba’s actions? (16:4)
2. What character traits did David exhibit through his reaction to Shimei? In what ways did David think Shimei’s behavior was "understandable?” (16:5-8)
3. Would you prefer to vindicate yourself or to be vindicated by God in due time? Why? How does our belief in God enable us to respond charitably toward our enemies? (16:9-12)
4. To what critic in your life would you like to learn to respond with silence and faith in God?
5. What question did Absalom have for Hushai the Arkite when they met? (16:15-17) What reasons did Hushai give to convince Absalom that he would change his loyalties? (16:18-19)
6. What were the conflicting advice that Ahitophel and Hushai gave to Absalom? (17:1-5; 17:7-14) How is this an answer to David’s prayer? (see 15:31)
7. In what sense was the struggle between Absalom and David more a struggle of wits than of armies?
8. How can we filter the advice we receive to ensure that it is according to God’s wisdom?
MEMORY VERSE (5 minutes)
2Sa 16:12 It may be that the LORD will look on the wrong done to me, and that the LORD will repay me with good for his cursing today.”
Questions Adapted from Serendipity Bible for Groups and Adult Questions for LESSONmaker.
No Powerpoint Slides this week
A MAN AFTER GOD’S OWN HEART Part 2: David, King of Israel