OCTOBER 15th - DAVID AVENGES THE GIBEONITES (2 Samuel 20)
1. Why was Israel suffering famine during David’s reign? (21:1) How had the Gibeonites been wronged by Israel under Saul? (21:2)
2. Based on the case of the Gibeonites, how seriously does God take our oaths, even those made to unbelievers?
3. What bargain did David propose to strike with the Gibeonites in exchange for their blessing on Israel? (21:3-4) What price did the Gibeonites request to settle Israel’s wrongs against them? (21:5-6)
4. WhatoathdidDavidhavetotakeintoconsiderationinmeetingtheGibeonites’ demands? (21:7-9) What delicate balance did David have to maintain as he made judgments on behalf of the nation?
5. How did the mother of two of the slain Israelites demonstrate her devotion and grief for the dead? (21:10) What gesture of respect did David make toward Saul’s family in response to Rizpah’s devotion? (21:11-14)
6. How did God respond to David’s gestures to right old wrongs? (21:14)
7. What happened to David the next time he went out with his troops to fight the Philistines? (21:15-16) As David got older, why was it more important to preserve his life than to have his leadership at the battlefront? (21:17)
8. How did Israel fare against the giant Philistine warriors, descendants of Rapha? (21:18-22)
9. What battles have you recently fought for you King? What battles do you anticipate the coming week?
MEMORY VERSE (5 minutes)
2Sa 21:1 Now there was a famine in the days of David for three years, year after year. And David sought the face of the LORD. And the LORD said, “There is bloodguilt on Saul and on his house, because he put the Gibeonites to death.”
Questions Adapted from Serendipity Bible for Groups and Adult Questions for LESSONmaker.
No Powerpoint Slides this week
A MAN AFTER GOD’S OWN HEART Part 2: David, King of Israel